Sunday 15 August 2010

Design Museum : Urban Africa


I'm very lucky to live close to London so it's easy for me to pop over to the Design Museum near London Bridge to have a ganders at their current exhibitions. I love the way that one week it can be focused on fashion, and the next the attention can be turned to photography. It's ever changing.

Following on from my last post concerning the photography project of George Logan, where he put African wildlife into unexpected settings, 'Urban Africa', a photographic exhibition by David Adjaye currently being shown at the Design Museum until 5th September, follows on a similar African theme.

Architect David Adjaye has taken photographs of African cities as part of an ongoing project to study new patterns of urbanism. The idea behind the images is to show Africa in a different limelight. Although usually considered to be a very underdeveloped country, Adjaye has used his architect's eye to create images that argue with this preconception.

Similar to my last post this exhibition stood out to me as I liked the way it portrays the unexpected. We make assumptions about where things should be placed, or how they should look, and when someone changes these it makes an interesting piece of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment