Sunday 15 August 2010

Os Gemeos and Futura


Next time you're walking around the Chelsea neighbourhood in New York (as you do), look out for this 80ft high mural on the wall of a school.

Artistic duo, Os Gemeos, and graffiti artist Futura, completed the design in 8 days, and were supported by Nike and a number of New York design agencies, including AKANYC. The overall theme for the design is unity, with flags from all over the world being painted in non-standard colours, with no borders or separation.

As random as the design looks against an otherwise dark backdrop in New York, I like the way that a usually taboo form of art, in that of graffiti, has been used to create something that sends across a message to so many people. With the sponsorship of Nike, I can imagine that lots of people would travel to visit this piece of art.

1 comment:

  1. I will definitely be checking this out next time I pop to New York! For now the image in front of me will have to do I guess!

    How it stands out amongst the dull, dark buildings makes it a centre piece and focal point within the mutli-cultural communities that inhabit New York, and is a great way to support equality.

    I visited Brick Lane at the weekend and took some fab photos of various street art. As you said although it is greatly frowned upon, I see it as a fabulous form of expression. It can't help but stand out and grab your attention and make you consider the message being portrayed. It makes you think - and that's why I like it!

    Nice find!

    ReplyDelete