Monday 2 August 2010

Kin's Channel


This online campaign is a brilliant example of what we would consider to be a friend now that so many people use social networking sites like Facebook and Myspace. Microsoft has created a set of short episodes displayed on a YouTube channel to promote its ‘Kin’ social networking phone.

The idea behind the campaign is that the star of the films, Rosa, who has over 800 friends on Facebook, has to go and visit each one separately, no matter where they are in the world, and see whether or not they are actually her friends.  Meetings include the person she’s never met, the one who got away and an old school friend.

What I think most of us can relate to is that even she has a number of ‘friends’ on Facebook who she’s only briefly met, or hasn’t spoken to for a long time. I often find myself looking through my friends and wondering who people are…. maybe the campaign is encouraging us to cut our friends lists down?!

I think in itself it’s a brilliant concept, although I’m not too sure how it would encourage me to buy the phone, especially when the majority of all phones now support social networking apps. I don’t think I’ll be changing my iPhone anytime soon.


In fact now I’ve researched further into this since I saw it a couple of months ago it turns out that Microsoft have axed their Kin phone. Even a good advertising campaign can't sell an average product.

No comments:

Post a Comment